Monday, August 6, 2007

summer bounty


blueberry peach jam, originally uploaded by trillium~mama.

Another thing I love about summer is the bounty of fresh foods. We are lucky to have a very nice garden in the city limits, with a variety of fruits and vegetables. Today I went out and picked our one lonely blueberry bush. It is the only one to have survived the introduction of a wild dog species(not really, but they are quite spastic sometimes)!

Anyway, this bush has withstood gnawing, exposure of roots due to dogs running around in circles, and yes even the occasional "shower". My dear husband was kind enough to save the poor bush this year by closing of the area in which it resides, to all foreign canine species. The bush happily thanked me by giving me enough berries for a batch of jam. I did have to throw in one peach, but that makes it taste all the more delicious!

I also tried a batch of refrigerator pickles due to the prolific nature of my cucumber plants. Note to self: We do not need 4 cucumber plants for a family of two adults and one cucumber despising toddler. This toddler does however love pickles, so I'm turning the cukes into something the whole family can enjoy.

I'll be sure to keep you all posted on my ongoing food storage adventure!

No comments: