Saturday, July 14, 2007

yard sale

I have no photos to show you, my friend, because I have been slaving away at a yard sale the past two days. I have no photos to show you because it was hot and dusty and sticky, and I just didn't feel like dealing with the camera. I know some of you must have had these days before.

It seems like an awful lot of work to have a yard sale. One couple that came through looked familiar from my husband and my Sunday yard sale treks. I asked them about it. The woman said they hadn't been for three weeks (she was so proud). She said they collected so many things that it was time for them to have a sale of their own.
I told her that was what had happened to us. She found a few things to buy, and her husband reluctantly pulled out his wallet. I'm sure he was thinking "what are we doing buying more stuff if we need to have our own sale?!".

She was into crafting and asked what I did with fabric(I had stacks of it for very cheap). I told her about my bags and clothing, and my addiction to putting it on shelves. She asked where I sold my stuff and I told her-she vowed to look me up.
Before she left, I told her we'd probably see them at their sale when they had one.

I seem to have a problem going to them. My sale started at nine Saturday morning, so at eight my daughter and I hit a few sales. This was after we had already sat out in the heat at our Friday sale, for the entire day. What was I thinking?!

My husband was at work today so when the sale ended, I packed all the leftovers up (in the afternoon heat) and carted them off to charity. I folded all the tables and threw the against a wall, with the boxes and sawhorse carcasses. Someone else can deal with them.

In the end, we didn't do to bad in the money department. We got enough to pay for gas and lodging for our upcoming vacation. After all that work I thought I had learned my lesson, not to collect too many things. Then I went to take down our signs at all the usual yard sale sign spots. There they were-signs for Sunday sales. I found myself jotting down a few.

I'm sure I will be a much more finical shopper now.

No comments: